Daily GK Updates 27th April 2017, Today GK Quiz: Candidates are preparing for various governments competitive examinations and if they want to prepare their General Knowledge subject. They can get latest updates by checking our post. We have updated today Daily GK Updates 27th April 2017, Current Affairs April 2017, and Today GK Questions Answers with covering all latest topics and trends i.e. national & international affairs, trades/economics, award, books, sports fields. Check our Daily G.K, Updates Data and review yourself by appearing in online mock tests available at www.wifistudy.com.
Daily GK Updates 27th April 2017, Current Affairs April 2017:
1. World Intellectual Property Day: 26 April
- World Intellectual Property Day is observed internationally on every 26 April.
- The observance of WIPD is organised by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- The aim is to learn about the role that intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright) play in encouraging innovation and creativity.
- The theme of this year’s World Intellectual Property Day is ‘Innovation- Improving lives’.
2. India to host 18th World Road Meeting
- India is set to host the 18th World Road Meeting (WRM 2017) on November 13, the International Road Federation (IRF) said.
- The WRM, the biggest global platform for road engineers, safety and transport experts and companies engaged in road safety products, will be attended by over 4,000 delegates from across the world.
- The theme of this year’s edition is ‘Safe Roads and Smart Mobility: The Engines of Economic Growth’.
3. PM Modi Flag-off First UDAN Flight under RCS
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will flag off the first UDAN flight under RCS on Shimla-Delhi sector on 27th April, 2017.
- Simultaneously, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will also flag off the inaugural UDAN flights on Kadapa – Hyderabad and Nanded-Hyderabad sectors.
- To make air travel accessible to citizens in regionally important cities, the Ministry launched ‘Ude Deshka Aam Naagrik’ (UDAN) Regional Connectivity Scheme in October, 2016.
4. Bengal drops ‘Pradhan Mantri’ tag from central scheme
- The West Bengal government has decided to drop the tag “Pradhan Mantri” from “Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna” and rename it as “Bangla Fasal Bima Yojna”.
- The reason behind the decision to drop the Pradhan Mantri tag, taken at a state Cabinet meeting earlier this month, was that the Centre’s share in such schemes had come down to 50:50, state agriculture minister Purnendu Basu explained.
- As per the norm, the farmer had to pay one-third of it while the remaining two-thirds was borne by the Centre and the state government.
- Earlier, the Centre’s contribution was either 90 per cent or around 75 per cent, which now came down to 50 per cent or below in several schemes.
5. SEBI makes P-Note norms stricter to curb black money in markets
- Markets regulator Sebi has barred resident as well as non-resident Indians (NRIs) from making investments through participatory notes (P-Notes).
- P-notes are mostly used by overseas individual investors, hedge funds and foreign institutions to invest in the Indian securities markets through registered foreign institutional investors (FIIs).
- Point to remember
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) was first established in the year 1988 as a non-statutory body for regulating the securities market. It became an autonomous body by The Government of India on 12 April 1992 and given statutory powers in 1992 with SEBI Act 1992 being passed by the Indian Parliament.
- The chairman who is nominated by Union Government of India. Two members, i.e., Officers from Union Finance Ministry. One member from the Reserve Bank of India.
- The remaining five members are nominated by Union Government of India, out of them at least three shall be whole-time members.
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
6. Belgium opens honorary consulate in GIFT City
- Belgium has become the first country to open an honorary consulate office in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
- Besides the Belgian Embassy in New Delhi, two Consulates-General in Mumbai and Chennai, and an honorary consulate in Kolkata, Belgium has expanded its diplomatic representation in India with this new office in Gandhinagar.
- Hari Sankaran was nominated as Honorary Consul of the Kingdom of Belgium to the state of Gujarat.
7. Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar appointed new Director General of CRPF
- Senior IPS officer Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar was appointed as the new Director General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- His appointment comes two days after the CRPF lost 25 jawans in the deadly Sukma attack.
- Bhatnagar will be replacing acting DG Sudeep Lakhtakia.
- In another key appointment, R K Pachnanda was appointed as DG of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- He’ll be taking over from Krishna Chaudhary, who is set to retire in June this year.
- Pachnanda is currently serving as DG of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
8. Indian businessman Yusuff Ali wins Queen’s Enterprise Award
- A prominent Indian businessman’s food processing plant in Britain has won the prestigious Queen’s Enterprise Award 2017 for its exceptional contribution to the UK’s trade, industry and economy.
- Yusuff Ali M.A , 61, said the recognition for his Birmingham-based Y International (UK) Ltd will spur his Abu Dhabi headquartered Lulu Group International to further expand business interests in the UK.
- The Queen’s Award for Enterprise is conferred annually by Queen Elizabeth II on her birthday, April 21, upon businesses that display great enterprise across the fields of innovation, international trade, promoting opportunity through social mobility and sustainable development.
9. Srishti Kaur wins Miss Teen Universe pageant
- Srishti Kaur from India was crowned Miss Teen Universe 2017, beating out 25 other contestants from around the world in the annual beauty pageant.
- Samantha Pierre from Canada and Ary Trava from Mexico were the runners-up in the event held at the Ruben Dario National Theatre in Nicaragua’s capital Managua.
- Kaur, a resident of Noida, also won the prize for best national costume.
10. RDPR bags e-Puraskar
- The Rural Development and Panchayat Raj (RDPR) Department of Karnataka has bagged e-Puraskar Award for the best performance in empowering panchayats by using Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools, for 2016-17.
- Kerala bagged the second prize, while West Bengal secured third prize in the category of ICT tools.
- The cash prize for the first position is Rs. 2 crore, Rs. 1 crore for second position and Rs. 50 lakh for third position.
11. Actor Vinod Khanna passes away at 70
- Veteran actor and sitting BJP MP Vinod Khanna passed away at the age of 70 after a difficult battle with cancer.
- The actor, who was part of several Bollywood hits like Amar Akbar Anthony and The Burning Train, was admitted to the HN Reliance Foundation and Research Centre in Girgaon, Mumbai recently.
- Vinod Khanna, a sitting Bharatiya Janata Party MP from Gurdaspur district of Punjab, was born on 6 October, 1946. He was seen in 141 films between 1968 and 2013.